Obstructive Sleep Apnea. During sleep, throat muscles relax. If the throat is crowded due to obesity, the airway collapses during sleep. Airflow stops and the blood oxygen level drops, which causes the brain to wake up.
What are the symptoms of OSA?
- Fatigue and tiredness during the day
- Loud snoring
- Waking up with Choking or gasping
- Not feeling rested in the morning or satisfied with a night's sleep
- A strong desire to take a daily afternoon nap
- Unexplained accidents or errors
What can put you at risk for OSA?
- A large neck or tongue
- Extra tissue or crowding in the airway
What treatments are available?
- Tongue Base Reduction