The painful symptoms associated with chronic sinusitis can be overwhelming. If symptoms are difficult to control with medications alone, your primary doctor may refer you to an Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) specialist, who can determine the best course of treatment, including further medication therapy or surgery to open the sinus passage ways.
Now, there is an additional surgical option for treatment of blocked sinuses called Balloon Sinuplasty™ technology. If you have been diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and are not responding well to antibiotics you may be a candidate for surgery. You now have a less invasive option that is clinically proven to be safe, effective and improve the quality of your life.
Balloon Sinuplasty™ technology is an endoscopic, catheter-based system for patients suffering from sinusitis. The FDA-cleared technology uses a small, flexible, sinus balloon catheter to open up blocked sinus passageways, restoring normal sinus drainage. When the sinus balloon is inflated, it gently restructures and widens the walls of the passageway while maintaining the integrity of the sinus lining.
Balloon Sinuplasty™ devices provide an endoscopic, catheter-based system for patients suffering from sinusitis. Recently published data in the leading ENT journal shows that the technology is safe and effective: study participants experienced no adverse events and received significant relief from their symptoms.
Balloon Sinuplasty™ technology is used by qualified Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT) physicians and involves the use of tiny balloons to open blocked sinuses similar to how angioplasty uses balloons to open blocked coronary arteries.
The video above shows an inflamed left frontal sinus.
In order to improve symptoms of chronic sinusitis, an ENT physician will use Balloon Sinuplasty™ devices to open the blockage that is preventing sinus drainage.
The benefits of Balloon Sinuplasty™ technology for treating chronic sinusitis symptoms include:
- Safe and Effective – While use of any surgical instrument involves some risk, clinical research has indicated the Balloon Sinuplasty™ system to be safe and effective in relieving symptoms of sinusitis.
- Minimally Invasive – The technology uses small, soft, flexible devices that enter entirely through the nostrils. These devices gently open blocked sinus openings, and in many cases, without tissue or bone removal.
- Reduced Bleeding – Because in many instances no tissue or bone is removed when using this technology, there may be reduced bleeding associated with the procedure.
- Improved Recovery Time – While recovery time varies with each patient, many people can return to normal activities within 24 hours.
- Does Not Limit Treatment Options – This technology is an endoscopic tool and may be used with other medical therapies or sinus surgery techniques. It does not limit future treatment options if you have progressive disease.
As with use of any surgical instrument, there are risks, and results may vary from patient to patient. Talk with your doctor about your specific condition to find out if the Balloon Sinuplasty™ system is right for you.